As
I've mentioned in the last post, I'd like to make another review-list about my most
recent favourite korean dramas (you can read my last reviews here).
This
time, it's not easy though, because there are many great dramas this year, great
stories, great actors/actresses and not to mention, some new talents and come-backs.
I've watched so many dramas and it'll be a loooooong list, if I put everything
I've seen these past ten months. Also, I watched some old dramas, which aired 1-3
years ago instead of 2013, and some of them made to the list.
So,
I decided to review just the best five in my personal opinion :). Enjoy.
-Not
in order *SPOILER ALERT*
1. King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu (a.k.a. Bread, Love and Dreams) - 2010
Casts: Yoon Shi Yoon, Joo Won, Eugene, LeeYoung Ah
Episodes: 30
This
one is exceptional. I've heard about it since years ago, but never made myself
to watch it. Reason: they are new actors I've never seen before and, at the time, I was
into other things (2008-2011 is the time of my hiatus periods as kdrama-addict,
I may say). Besides, I thought it would be a drama with cliche from
kitchen-setting drama: some used-to-be-famous bakery, which almost broke down; the
boss would be some cold-genious baker, who ended up with one of his ordinary
workers; love triangle; unrecuited love; and so on.
I was
NEVER so wrong before.
It
took me 3 years to finally touch its first episode. What makes me decided to
watch it, you ask? It's Joo Won! Well, to be honest, earlier this year I almost watch KTG after I finished
"Flower Boy Next Door" (another drama with Yoon Shi Yoon and Park
Shin Hye as the leads). Yes, Yoon Shi Yoon almost
became the reason I watch KTG. But his charms wasn't enough to make me take
down all its 30 episodes.
Later,
when I'm already owned by Joo Won and I've watched everything of his but this
one, I finally clicked the 'play'-button. I thought, I have even seen all 58
episodes of "Ojakgyo Brothers" for Joo Won, why couldn't I watch a 30
episodes drama, which was his first work on TV and was so famous, it became his
'small' breakthrough. Actually, I was a little bit afraid, that I might hate him after watching KTG because he's supposed to be the bad man. But again, I was wrong! xD
It is
actually a story about life itself with breads and baking on the background, of
course.
Plots
The
drama was set in the 1970s to late 1980s. It was the time, when old-fashioned
beliefs and traditions were still popular among the korean folks. These beliefs
include the needs of a son. Seo In Suk was struggling because her mother-in-law
demand a grandson to inherit the family business. Unfortunately, she gave birth
to a second daughter and her in-law was becoming more hateful each day.
Desperate,
she even went to a monk with the 'power' to help her having a son. But the monk
said he couldn't help, because it isn't her destiny to have a son with her
'actual' husband. With empty hands, she went home and found out that one of her
houseworkers, Kim Mi Sun, was pregnant with her husband's illegitimate son. The
jelaousy and the fear that she'd lose all of her status, she tried to kill her
husband's lover. This was the beginning of the later several evil plans.
So,
shortly, Mi Sun survived and went into hiding with her newborn son, Kim Tak Gu.
In Suk, in other hand, was told that Mi Sun and her son have been killed by her
partner in crime, who was also her husband's right hand in the company, Han
Seung Jae. She continued her life, but when she realized that Goo Il Joong, her
husband, might actually fell for Mi Sun, she decided that she had to have a
son, no matter how. She then cheated on her husband and got pregnant, with a
son. Who's the father? No other that Han Seung Jae, who secretly loves her! Together they built up a big plan to make their son the heir of Il Joong's bread company.
Years
went by, the two families continued their life separately. Kim Tak Gu lived in
a poor enviroment, where he couldn't even buy a piece of fresh baked bread. But
he was happy because his mother loves him so much. Their small family was
heartwarming, while, on the other side of the country, Goo Ma Jun lived with
his wealthy, yet unhappy family.
Even
from his early childhood, Ma Jun had realized the unusual atmosphere in his
family. His father was cold to his mother and his grandmother seemed to hate In Suk and himself. Not to mention, this strangely-too-care-about-him Seung
Jae ajusshi, who was always beside
him. He grew up into a rebellious boy.
After
several incidents, Mi Sun was finally unable to bear the fact anymore, that she
might become the biggest obstacle for Tak Gu's future, if he had to keep living
poorly with her. She then decided to come out of her hidings. She showed up
with Tak Gu at Goo family's mansion and asked the Goo family to let Tak Gu live with his father. That was the first time the children
learned about their family's past and scandals.
The
story keep flowing. Tak Gu witnessed his mom's kidnapping and decided to look
for her, he left his father's house and lived an uncertain life for years. Goo Ma
Jun later also accidentaly came to learn even a darker secret about his birth
and his grandmother's death.
For
twelve years there's only one reason for Tak Gu to keep surviving and living
the harsh life, to find his long lost mother. As for Ma Jun, his goal was to
gain his father's trust and acknowledgement. Until they met each other again in
a bakery. Ma Jun was trying to be the best baker in order to make Il Joong proud, and an important clue about his mother led Tak Gu to the same bakery.
There
are girls, of course. Shin Yu Kyung was Tak Gu's and Ma Jun's first love. She,
herself, loved Tak Gu at first, but situations and incidents made her end up
choosing Ma Jun (yay! ^^). Tak Gu then got another girl, Yang Mi Sun. She's a
cute daughter of the chief at the bakery.
Reviews
There
are some points I really like in this drama. First, of course, undoubtly, the
relationship between Ma Jun and Yu Kyung. The romance is so dark and unusual,
yet it has its own depth and touching feelings. They're being together is
considered as the twist in the drama. A lot of people were hoping Yu Kyung and
Tak Gu will be back together, but the writer seemed to have another idea (thank
you so much, miss writer! ^^).
I
really like Yu Kyung's answer, when Ma Jun asked her, after they're married,
about why she finally chose him instead of Tak Gu. She answered (if I'm not
mistaken), "I don't want to show Tak Gu the bad side of me. I don't want
him to know that I could be that kind of person. With him I could pretend that
I'm a kind person, with you I could be just me." For the other Ma Jun's
question about why she hesitated when she stated her oath at the church, she
said, "For that brief moment, I made myself believe that I might be
actually happy with you, because I thought your feelings for me are true."
And then you could sense regret on Ma Jun's expressions (it's to die for :'3).
Anyway, it's a happy ending for them, big yay!
Second,
I like the positive attitude of Tak Gu. He's so positive, despite his hard and
harsh life. Even Ma Jun was touched far before the last episodes (when both Tak
Gu and Ma Jun finally made peace with each other and became sweety friends).
Third,
the last conversation of Ma Jun and his biological father behind bars. If I
were really there, I would just run and give Ma Jun a hug :'3.
Anyway,
my reviews may be full of Joo Won biases, but still it's a worth watching drama.
If you're already a fan of either of Joo Won or Yoon Shi Yoon but haven't watched
it yet, please watch. If you are a fan of neither Joo Won nor Yoon Shi Yoon, you
might end up being one of their fans.
2. Bridal Mask (a.k.a. Gaksital) - 2012
Casts: Joo Won, Park Ki Woong, Jin Se Yeon, Han Chae Ah
Episodes: 28
Here
is the masterpiece of Joo Won. If KTG made a 'small' breakthrough for him, then
this is his big break. Lee Kang To is Joo Won's first lead role.
Plots
The
setting is Korea under japanese imperial rule. So it's around 1930s. There is
this korean man who worked as an imperial police. His name is Lee Kang To. Kang
To was a talented and intelligent policeman slash detective. As a korean, he
had a quite position in the imperial police, which dominated by japanese.
The
korean folks, in other hand, hated him so much and called him traitor because
he worked for the japanese goverment and often prisoned his fellows korean, who
rebeled against japanese occupancy. Some of his japanese co-workers hated him
too because he's korean and he wasn't supposed to be on the same level as the japanese.
Despite
of hatred he recieved from both sides, Kang To tried his best to hang on his
job. He had his own reasons. First, the job paid the bills and he could even
send his mentally-ill older brother to the best hospital in Tokyo. Second, Kang
To believe it was the only way for koreans to survive this dark times under
japanese rule, being their friends instead of making them enemy. So he really
worked hard and was ambitious to reach even higher position in the police
office.
Then
a mysterious hero showed up, Bridal Mask. No one knew, who Bridal Mask really
was. He's wearing a mask for a traditional bride and his weapon was only an
iron flute, plus he killed the japanese high officials. For the koreans, Bridal
Mask was a hope for their freedom. This means trouble for the japanese
goverment. Lee Kang To was then assinged to catch Bridal Mask. He was promised
promotion, if he succeeded.
What
Kang To didn't know is, Bridal Mask was actually his older brother! So, the
older brother, Lee Kang San, pretended to be a village-fool in order to keep
him away from suspicion, so that he could become Bridal Mask and helped his
people. Kang To, as well as all other people, believed that Kang San had become
a fool due to the torture he went through during the interogation, when he was
captured after joined a rebel.
For
Kang To his brother was the only hope for the family. Kang San was the only son
who got formal education, while young Kang To run here and there, worked his
ass off to make money. That's why, when Kang To thought his brother had lost
his mind, his world fell apart. The young and kind Kang To became a cold,
ruthless policeman, who could undoubtly catch and torture even his fellows
koreans.
Kang
San's secret was revealed, after Kang To shot the Bridal Mask, without
knowing that he actually killed his brother. Kang To came to understand about his
father's death and the revenge Kang San sought. He then put on his brother's
mask and became the new Bridal Mask.
Reviews
Daebak! For the first few episodes I was in an awe. The acting was superb. Even from the very first
episode, I was already touched by Kang San's and Kang To's stories. The scene
when Kang To cried on his brother's back, after pouring his heart out, and on
the other side Kang San was trying so hard to hide his own tears. Mann... I
love that scene.
And
then the scene when Kang To finally knew who Bridal Mask really was and soon
after, he found his mother's dead body inside the house. It's breathtaking and
gave me goosebumps. There were many great scenes. The actions, the romance...
I've mentioned before, that Joo Won looked so cool doing actions ^^.
Along
side with Kang To's character, I could feel the loneliness our hero felt.
I
love the frenemy relationship between Lee Kang To and Kimura Shunji. Shunji was
Kang To's only friend amongs all japanese and korean who hated him. But then
Kang To was blinded by revenge, he killed Shunji's brother, the cause of his
mother's and brother's death.
Shunji was a kind and warmhearted elementary teacher, who later became so ruthless and heartless because of the revenge and unrecruited love. Yeah, they loved the same girl, Oh Mok Dan. Of course, Mok Dan loves only Kang To, who she hated until she knew that he was Bridal Mask and also her first childhood love.
Shunji was a kind and warmhearted elementary teacher, who later became so ruthless and heartless because of the revenge and unrecruited love. Yeah, they loved the same girl, Oh Mok Dan. Of course, Mok Dan loves only Kang To, who she hated until she knew that he was Bridal Mask and also her first childhood love.
Bridal
Mask for me is a drama with heavy plot. After watching it, I felt like a
squashed sponge. It's so complicated, yet done beautifully with details. I love
details! Great job, folks!
3. Reply 1997 (a.k.a. Answer Me 1997) - 2012
Casts: Seo In Guk, Jung Eun Ji, Eun Ji Won,
Hoya
Episodes: 16
Well,
I saw this first because I was curious about the drama Eun Ji Won did after he
dropped out 2 Days and 1 Night. I watched like about 2 episodes and couldn't
make myself to continue. Reason? I wasn't familiar with any of the casts aside
from Ji Won. But months later my housemate told me it does worth watching and
she got me. I ended up watching all the episodes and Reply 1997 became one of
my all time favourite. It sets in 1990s and brought back so much memories.
You'll know it when you watch it.
Reply
1997 is a drama you'll miss someday and you'll want to watch it again. I have
watched it three times already and sometimes I find myself still considering to
watch it again. I came to love the character, especially Sung Shi Won (Jung Eun
Ji) and Yoon Yoon Jae (Seo In Guk). There are so many new talents here, but
they are the real talents!
Plots
The
story here is about six highschoolers in Busan, South Korea (so they speak in
dialect). Sung Shi Won was a typical fangirl of H.O.T, the ancestors of korean
idols. Many events that mentioned in each episode were actual events, which
happened in that time. H.O.T itself is a real famous boygroup in 1990s. Yoon Yoon
Jae was a smart-perfect guy. He was a total opposite of Shi Won, who dedicated
all of her time to be H.O.T biggest fan. He fell for Shi Won, but her immature
self made her coudn't realize Yoon Jae's feelings.
The
story then flows years later, when they had become professionals and earned
their own money.
Reviews
I
love how the writers set up the plot! The first episode started with a reunion
party of some highschool friends and they gave out a clue about a couple there
who's getting married. Through their conversations, we could catch up some
clues about possible couples there. Then they did flashbacks to the time, when
they're still some highschool students. How the relationships grew since their
teenage age was drawn up really good.
The
romance seems real and there was no such dramatic melancholy elements. It's so
honest and simple and sweet and young and innocent. I love it.
At
some part, we'll be brought back again to the reunion party and more clues were
given. Then you'll realize, that the couple you think will get married might be
not a couple at all! Or that they have actually been married with another person.
It's
just brilliant! There are also these details about "little things you do".
I
love how Yoon Jae and Shi Won shared drinks and used the same straw, but when
other girl shared her drink with him, he changed the straw. Or when Shi Won's
shirts revealed her bra-straps, without words Yoon Jae reached out his hand and
cover it up by fixing her collar. All the small talks were really natural and
really flowing.
Trust
me, you wouldn't stop watching after some episodes! And they have awesome soundtracks :D
4. I Can Hear Your Voice - 2013
Casts: Lee Bo Young, Lee Jong Suk
Episodes: 18
This
is one of many marvelous works in 2013. It contains new talent too, Lee Jong
Suk. I found the drama accidentally. I was attracted by the posters and
synopsis. It was said, that the story counclude some supernatural power. Well,
I like that kind of stories plus there is Lee Bo Young and I think she's one of
the most beautiful korean actress. So I watched it and fell easily for Park Soo
Ha (Lee Jong Suk). It was so good, that I didn't even mind the nuna-dongsaeng-10-years-apart couple. I
support them!
Plots
Park
Soo Ha was a highschool student with special power, he could read people mind
by seeing their eyes (WOW!). He got the power after the car accident he was in
with his father 10 years ago. The car accident itself was actually a set up
made by Min Joon Kook, in order to kill Soo Ha's father. But the accident
didn't kill his father instantly. That's why Joon Kook then hit him with a steel bat numerous times continuosly, while Soo Ha was sitting on the passenger seat, witnessing his
father being killed. The traumatic incident caused him unable to talk
temporarely.
Jang
Hye Sung (Lee Bo Young) was a prosecutor, who bored with his life and jobs. But behind her
ignorance, there was a dark story. 10 years ago she witnessed Soo
Ha's father being beaten up by Joon Kook. She then picked up her courage and
showed up in the trial, saying she's the only witness of the murder. Because of
her daring actions, Min Joon Kook was sentenced 10 years in prison. He then
promised himself to get his revenge. Being able to read Joon Kook's minds, little Soo
Ha made a promise to young Hye Sung, that he'd protect her.
Both
of them then lived separately. Soo Ha never forget his saviour and was always
looking for her to fulfill his promise to protect her, while Hye Sung continued
her life as usual, without even thinking about the boy she saved.
10
years later they met each other again and soon after Min Joon Kook was released
from prison with revenge on his mind.
Reviews
I
love it. Everything with superpower is always interesting. I also could find
sweet details here, for example little things like how Soo Ha spontaniously
grabbed the water bootle in Hye Sung's hand and helped her to open it or how he
could make things less awkward because he could read Hye Sung's minds.
There's
also this one scene, when Hye Sung hurt her throat and lost her voice. They
could have conversation with each other. Ahh~ Love it!
For
me, Soo Ha is one very understanding man. He's mature beyond his age and it
could cover up the 10 years age difference between him and Hye Sung. The other
plus point is for Hye Sung's unlimited trust for Soo Ha and Soo Ha's unlimited
efforts to keep her trust. Mann... they're just so good for each other. ^^
5. Good Doctor - 2013
Casts: Joo Won, Moon Chae Won, Joo Sang Wook
Episodes: 20
Okay,
this was the third Joo Won's drama on the list. This man is really a golden boy.
I've
mentioned before (read here), this one is actually my first Joo Won's drama, although it's
actually his latest. From this on, I notice his acting skill and it brought me
to Bridal Mask, Ojakgyo Brothers, and Kim Tak Gu.
My
sister found the first 2 episodes on youtube and told me about it. At first I
don't really interested, but when I realized the lead actress is Moon Chae Won
from The Princess' Man, I couldn't help but watch it. :D
Plots
Park
Shi On (Joo Won) was a first year residence in pediatric surgeon department,
who had a savant syndrome. It's a syndrome which applied to autistic people
with genious ability in a particular field. For Shi On, he's a genious in
memorizing medical terms and diagnosing.
Cha
Yeon Seo (Moon Chae Won) was a second year fellows in the same department. We
could see that she loves kids and it may be the reason, why she cares about Shi
On when others didn't. She always supported Shi On in his difficult times
because of his 10 year old mentality and social disability.
The
story runs about the cases in pediatric department, of course. There were some
illness to be cured and some life lesson from Shi On as he was fighting
prejudices about autism from people. Shi On then fell in love with his caring
senior, Yeon Seo. At the same time, he knew they couldn't be together.
Reviews
Another
masterpiece from Joo Won. He gained many compliments on how he potrayed autistic
person. In his interviews, he said that he actually did a research about
autistic and even met some people with autistic and savant syndrome in order to
understand his role (applause , please) xD
So,
no wonder he was able to potray Shi On nicely.
For
the people who expected pure medical dramas like Grey's Anatomy or House, I think Good Doctor isn't like that. It does have many scenes in
operation room, but the focus was more about the ethics of doctors, politics in
the hospital-business, and, of course, Shi On's journey of becoming a pediatric
surgeon.
The
sweet romance scenes between Shi On and Yeon Seo aren't many in numbers, but
they have depth in meaning and were made beautifully. I've posted a cut from
episode 18 here. That one is my favourite, although it's not real.
Lastly,
Good Doctor is a drama with many things about life you can learn from.
***
Here are some other dramas I watched this year and I like, but didn't make to the top 5 :)
- Ojakgyo Brothers - 2011
- The Master's Sun - 2013
- That Winter, The Wind Blows - 2013
- Dating Agency: Cyrano - 2013
And these are some still-airing drama I'm watching. From the first few episodes, they seem to be really expectable xD.
I hope this post will help people, who can't decide what to watch :3
Ppyong! ♥♥






Keine Kommentare:
Kommentar veröffentlichen